Read this website in its entirety to understand the exam and OEBC's policies and procedures and to determine if you are eligible to take the exam. The following administration policies and procedures are established to allow for appropriate security, bilingual administration, and optimum efficiency of administration.
Exam Dates, Deadlines and Location
All eligibility and registration deadlines as well as exam dates are available at Dates/Deadlines/Location.
Registration for the Spring 2019 administration opens January 2, 2019 12 pm noon ET.
Important Dates for ALL Candidates
- Eligibility Request Deadline – the candidate’s deadline to submit the eligibility request online. This date is 7 business days before the Registration Deadline.
- It is recommended that the eligibility request form be submitted 1-2 weeks before Eligibility Request Deadline to avoid any unforeseen delays.
- Spring 2019 deadline date January 25, 2019 12 pm noon ET
- Registration Deadline – the candidate’s deadline to submit the exam registration application online including identification uploads and payment.
- Spring 2019 deadline date February 1, 2019 12 pm noon ET
There is NO extension of eligibility or registration deadline dates. A deadline will not be extended to accommodate late applications. Ensure that OEBC receives your eligibility request form and your completed registration application by the respective deadlines. The eligibility request deadline and the examination registration deadline will not be extended for any reason. OEBC is not responsible for processing delays which may occur due to missing, incomplete or inaccurate information and which may result in the candidate missing a deadline; OEBC is not responsible for late submissions, for technical difficulties or for any issues involving third party payors; such matters will not be a reason for appeal. We caution all candidates to register as early as possible to avoid any unforeseen delays. The use of online registration prevents late registration – the computer will not accept an eligibility request or an exam registration application after the deadlines.
Candidates who may require accommodation should refer to the Exam Special Accommodations policy for information about how to request an accommodation at the exam.
Exam Registration Steps (ALL STEPS ARE ONLINE)
- Step 1 Eligibility Request: Choose the appropriate eligibility request form (refer to Exam Eligibility and Retake Policy). Complete and submit the eligibility request form by the Eligibility Request Deadline. Candidates will need their expected graduation date. Eligibility and registration deadlines are available at Dates/Deadlines/Location. Important: An eligibility request must be submitted with each application. For example, a candidate who takes the written exam and OSCE at separate administrations must submit an eligibility request each time.
- Step 2 Eligibility Verification: OEBC will review eligibility request forms received and verify eligibility. Allow 3-5 business days. Once approved, the candidate will receive an email advising eligibility has been verified and to proceed with creating an account and completing exam registration online. A request that is incomplete or inaccurate or fails to meet exam eligibility criteria will be denied and the candidate advised of the reason. An example is the candidate name is not on the graduation (eligibility) list from the school.
- Step 3 Registration: All candidates must click on the link in the email (see Step 2) to complete the account set up and register for the exam. Upon submitting a complete registration, the candidate will receive a payment receipt by email. To register for the exam, candidates MUST have:
- A passport-style colour photo, as follows:
- Photo size should be approximately 2 to 2.5 inches by 3 – 3.25 inches
- Taken within the past 6 months and a current likeness of you
- White or light-coloured background
- Facing the camera, straight-on
- Clear and in focus
- Neutral expression, no smiling
- No tinted glasses
- A copy of your valid (unexpired) Canadian or foreign passport. You must submit a copy of the page(s) showing your name, photograph, signature, date of birth and passport expiry date.
- A copy of one of the following, which must be valid (unexpired):
- Canadian or US citizenship certificate
- Canadian or US resident card
- Canadian or US Driver's license
- Birth Certificate PLUS one other piece of government issued identification with a photo (e.g. Canadian health card, military card)
- Valid Visa or Mastercard credit card or debit card
To submit your eligibility request, click HERE
Registration Tips & Reminders
- The email entered in the Eligibility Request form will become the candidate’s username. This username cannot be changed.
- Ensure that all contact information you enter - including name, mailing address and email address – is complete and accurate. This information is used for all correspondence and eligibility request verification. OEBC is not responsible for any miscommunication or inability to complete any aspect of the registration process including Eligibility Request verification as a result of a candidate not providing current and accurate information.
- Change of name or address must be submitted in writing, with complete details and necessary official documents supporting such changes. Allow 30 days to process change of name or address requests.
- A schedule indicating specific dates and times for the exam will be emailed to the candidate approximately four weeks prior to the exam administration.
- Individuals may register for only one exam administration (fall or spring) at a time. Registrations for one administration are not “held” or carried over to a subsequent administration. Eligibility and registration requests must be submitted with each application. For example, candidates who register for the "early written" option in the fall of their 4th year must submit a new eligibility request and registration for the spring administration.
- Candidate eligibility is verified and approved before each exam administration.
- Eligibility is based on the Exam Eligibility and Retake Policy. Refer to this policy for detailed information about eligibility to attempt the exam. Reminders:
- Candidates who are graduating from an optometry degree program who forego the advance written option have an opportunity to take the (entire) exam in May of their graduating year.
- The only time a candidate may take the written exam and OSCE at two different administrations is when the written exam has been completed in advance.
- For 4th-year and graduating students, exam eligibility is based on program completion information supplied by schools (i.e. ACOE-accredited optometry programs). OEBC-approval of a candidate’s eligibility request is based on this information.
- Registrations from all eligible individuals are handled on a first received, first processed basis.
- All information about the exam including registration is available on this website. If you have reviewed this information and still have a question, please contact OEBC at firstname.lastname@example.org. OEBC will respond only to written inquiries and will not attempt to interpret exam policies and procedures for any candidate and his/her specific circumstances. OEBC staff strive to respond to inquiries in a timely manner but please keep in mind that during the exam application period, OEBC staff are processing applications and will take longer to respond to inquiries.
REMEMBER: Apply early and ensure that all information is accurate.